Beginning Sept. 1, 2017 the Memorial Northwest trash and recycle service will be provided by Residential Recycling and Refuge of Texas (RRRT). The contract with the current provider, Republic Services, was scheduled to expire on Dec. 31, 2017, and was planned for rebid this autumn. However, Republic Services chose to utilize a provision in the contract and terminate it early. Thus, a new service is required. Bids were obtained from four possible contractors, and, after a period of discussions and rebids, RRRT was chosen to begin service on Sept. 1, 2017.
Homeowners will receive quarterly bills from RRRT beginning in August via USPS in the same manner as from Republic Services; charges will be $15.49/month for trash and $2.90/month for recycle (plus appropriate sales tax on both). Do not pay any inadvertent bills received from Republic for service after Sept. 1, 2017. Republic Services has assured the MNW HOA Board of Directors that any payments for service past August 31, 2017 will be refunded; discussions on making this as rapid as possible are ongoing with Republic.
RRRT will not be providing any trash carts. However, they will provide the standard 18-gallon recycle bins.
Trash pick will still be on Mondays and Thursdays.
There will be some changes to the service.
- The major change will be to Garage-Door service for both household trash and recycle. Household trash is to be placed in containers or trash bags as currently done, but left at or near your garage door. Recycle is to be placed in the 18-gal. tubs provided by RRRT or a larger recycle container/cart if you have one.
- One thing to remember: RRRT will NOT open any gates to access the trash or recycle containers. Thus, if your garage door is located behind a yard gate, please leave your household trash and recycle outside that gate. This should eliminate any problems with pets escaping.
- Yard clippings and trimmings and other trash items are to be placed at the curb. Trimmings must be bound as usual and less than four feet in length and three inches in diameter.
- Larger items – boxes, chairs, etc. – will be allowed on a ‘reasonable’ basis. If you have something large – such as a sofa – call the RRRT office (1-866-516-9805) and discuss such with them. There may be an extra charge for large items – particularly if a separate truck must be sent. A more complete listing of acceptable trash and recycle items and restrictions will be published on the MNW website (www.mnwhoa.org) soon and in the monthly news magazine. However, there will be few changes for the current system.
- If you have physical restrictions that prevent you from putting your household trash and recycle at the garage door and/or the other items at the curb, call RRRT (1-866-516-9805) and arrange full backdoor pickup; there should be no charge.
It is unfortunate that the initial service will be delayed by the Labor Day holiday until Sept. 7, 2017. This will precipitate a rather large amount of trash on the first day of service; the forbearance of homeowners will be most appreciated as the service begins.
It is reasonable that there will be some hick-ups in the system as service begins. However, RRRT appears to be an efficient, reliable service provider. This has been a rather hard slog after being backed into a corner by Republic; again, the forbearance of homeowners will be greatly appreciated.
Finally, Republic Services will collect their recycle bins with the last pick-up on August 31, 2017. RRRT will provide new bins prior to that time.
Sincerely, Stan Thurber, 1st VP